Friday, January 04, 2008

Oh There's Nothing Half-Way...

about the Iowa way to treat you, if we treat you, which we may not do at all...

So the pundits were wrong and the young "disinterested" voters made a showing. What a gratifying statement that is.

I have been wondering for the last several months whether Obama's inroads to college campuses and appeal to younger adults would have any real impact come Caucus Day. My son, who attends school in Iowa, described the buzz on campus - not only with Obama, but with the whole Caucus mystique. I had never seen him engaged in the political process before (unless you count him standing in the election booth with me many years ago). But I retained my scepticism leftover from Howard Dean's run at the younger folks -- yeah, they'll work the phone banks and hand out flyers but will they really show up when there might be a party to go to at Kapa Sigma Mu?

Time to put my scepticism aside, though not out of reach. Maybe it's time I took a little closer and more serious look at this young inexperienced man from Illinois and stop dismissing him as a flash in the pan Kennedy want-to-be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home