Thursday, February 09, 2006

Evansville Mayoral Race

It is time to focus on the candidates for Mayor - election day is just a couple of weeks away. Problem is, there seems to be so little information. I am out of the city gossip loop and have been for years. The Gazette hasn't run its comparison yet. What I am left with are the ads in the Review/Trading Post and a couple of well done blogs: The Evansville Observer and Ambulance Fugo's.

I guess that is an improvement over years past when it was word of mouth and yard signs to guide your thought. Door to door seems a lost art. I remember when I ran for Council and received some votes, not because they agreed with me, but because I took the time to knock on their door and listen for a bit. I don't think candidates do that these days. It's a shame.
The following is what little I know and think of the 3.5 candidates running:

Karen Aikman -- seems competent and experienced. Knows how the City runs and understands the process. Basically agrees with Mayor Ringhands policies and would continue those forward. Basically, more of the same.

I guess it is a known quantity and there is comfort in that. Janice Ringhand and I disagreed on more issues than not, but I always respected her ability, honesty, and consistency. I'm guessing that Karen would be the same way.

Mike Anderson -- no political experience (though one might argue that working for the Madison FD is political by nature). Volunteer Evansville FD member - always a plus, not only for the obvious community volunteerism, but also because they have a very good information network (read - gossip grapevine) for the City. Whenever I wanted the "real poop" I would often go to the folks that know - EPD and EFD!

I want to like Mike, but don't know enough to get there yet. I want to think he is the alternative issue guy that I am looking for, but he needs to step up and let us know. I will await his letters to the editor and blog comments!

Sandy Decker -- I know more about her from her yard signs than anything else, thus I know she likes her first name but not her last. Not sure why, it seems a nice enough name. From what I have gathered from blogs, she is well educated which is a plus.
No clue on this one. Her picture and the few comments I have seen make her sound stiff. Waiting to see what she says.

Tom Nonn -- Write in candidate. Owner of Badger Cycles. I know I saw him on the Agenda of one of the City committees with the subject "Enforcement" in front of his name. Is this a protest candidate? They are always fun to watch!

Please feel free to tell me where I am dead wrong on any of the 3 1/2 candidates. Most of this is gut assumptions at this point, but that is what usually drives the polls anyway!

1 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger Walton said...

Thanks for comments.

Sometime I will write up my experiences -- serving on Council taught me a lot about people as well as how to be humble! As far as "angering" goes, that is a bit tongue in cheek though I am sure there were many who did not care for my views. What I held to the most was that regardless of how we felt on issues, there was never a Alderman that I couldn't feel comfortable having a beer with afterward.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home